2. after having spencer for a full week, the house seems very empty without him
3. there is life in a coffee shop after the morning crowd goes to work
4. the mexican place in lake wylie is quite tasty
5. we still have a lot to do for the golf tournament
6. there are still plenty of genuinely nice people out there.
7. spencer is one super smart kid
8. pages for the school scrapbook go pretty quickly when you keep them simple
9. dispite edwards relentless attempts (3 calls to my house on saturday alone), obama still swept our state (in the democratic primary)
what i learned over the weekend:
- it can actually snow twice in one week in south carolina
- no matter how many clothes you put on to let the dogs out, 16 degrees is just plain cold…and unless you own a ski mask, your nose will go numb long before the dogs have finished their “business”
- snow is pretty as it’s falling but it’s just plain annoying when there is nothing to play in!
- you can vote without your voter’s registration card as long as you have your license (thankfully)
- even though i love FoxNews, CNN has the coolest interactive map for watching primary results
- your vote does matter, but it’s quite annoying when your guy doesn’t win!
- downloading digital scrapbooking elements on the internet is seriously addictive
- there is no better way to start a saturday than by sharing morning coffee with friends
- plenty of interesting things, firsthand, about having a child with autism
- when the store is 75% off, there is no such as “just running in to Old Navy to buy Spencer some jeans”.
- it feels really good to get some scrapbook layouts completed
365 challenge photos are updated through today.
i just finished another 2-page layout (total of 9 for january). this is from when spencer and a friend were "honorary team captains" for our local minor league baseball team. I created the title block with a photo i'd take of the field.
supplies: patterned paper - the paper studio; accents - k&co, 7gypsies & creative imaginations; fonts - cac futura casual (journaling) & team spirit (title)
Supplies: chipboard - making memories; paint - decoart & plaid; diecuts - my mind's eye; ribbon - made for retail (target dollar spot); patterned paper - unknown; pens - zig writer (ek success) & permapaque (sakura); metal letters - die cuts with a view; rubons - making memories
Next, Mom and her three creative daughters did our inaugural homemade ornament exchange. We all made ornaments for each other – they could be out of anything as long as we made them. It turned out really cool and we are making it a tradition! Sherry’s ornaments all featured feathers (of course). Mom went way overboard and made us all about 5 ornaments!! So, the only rule for next year…only ONE ornament!
And following up on another new tradition…last year Michelle made us all calendars. Each month featured a list. We all brought our calendars (sort of) to share. It was funny how we all handled them so differently. Mom never even considered putting photos on hers, but brought her calendar with her lists all filled out. I had photos and lists completed for the whole thing. Sherry had some photos and some lists. Michelle didn’t even bring the calendar and only had some of her lists. But it was really neat and fun. No one had made calendars for this year so Sherry stepped up to the plate and offered to do so!
there are a few totally random ones that mean either my ipod is possessed by a crack-smoking kindergartener, or these lists aren't quite accurate. i'm not ashamed of my younger tastes now - like jesse mccartney and hilary duff...love that stuff...but seriously, i can't even think the last time i've jammed to some little mermaid tunes!
though my country selections definitely still get their share of air time, lately i've found myself listening to more of what i consider alternative - fall out boy, maroon 5, plain white t's...stuff like that. i love music, and my taste varies and sways. that's just the mood i'm in now.
this ain't a scene, it's an arms race - fall out boy (other favorites include thnks fr th mmrs and i'm like a lawyer).
harder to breathe - maroon 5 (though my current favorite is wake up call)
bob robert's society band & prince of tides- jimmy buffett and piece of work by buffett & toby keith
are you washed in the blood - alan jackson
some hearts, before he cheats, and we're young and beautiful - carrie underwood
adalida - george strait
southern nights - glen campbell
tonight i wanna cry - keith urban
i never promised you a rose garden - martina mcbride
accidentally in love - counting crows
you had a bad day - daniel powter
wake up - hilary duff
she's no you, beautiful soul & because you live - jesse mccartney
black horse and the cherry tree - kt tunstall
the first ornament is filled with feathers, which is perfect from that sister - her boys are always outdoors hunting, fishing..stuff like that. needless to say, it wasn't difficult for her to get authentic feathers around her house.
the second ornament was made with alcohol ink and glitter. it is so pretty in real life.
my mom went a little psycho crazy and made us all a TON of ornaments. she did three felt stockings with some stamped images on that weird tinsel looking stuff (can't remember what it's called). she did two folded paper ornaments and then the cute tag snowman was actually on the outside of the gift.
journaling reads: "maggie & michelle came to the beach house on friday. they spent the day on the beach and in the pool with us"
supplies: patterned paper - rusty pickle; accents - fresh cuts by ek success; pen - "teal" zig writer; ink pad - ink it up
as you can see, i'm keeping the load pages as simple as possible in the hopes of finishing more (not helping apparently).
supplies: patterned paper - scraps & scribbles; metal title - die cuts with a view; epoxy word stickers - miss elizabeth's
supplies: patterned paper - scraps & scribbles; font - the blue cabin; letter stickers - artic frog
The four layouts that I have completed are all from our 2005 beach vacation (pathetic, I know...I'm so behind). This one is from our dinner at Margaritaville.
Supplies: Patterned Paper - Rusty Pickle; Letter Stickers - Memories Complete (large), Carolee's Creations (small); Stamps - Hero Arts; Ink Pad - PSX; Rubons - American Crafts
we celebrate *our* christmas eve with spencer on christmas night. so after returning from the party, we did our normal traditions: we all opened one gift (new pjs), put out some cookies & milk for santa, and something for the reindeer (lettuce this year). we always read a christmas book also, and this year spencer said we should each choose a book to read. and we did...great twist to our tradition and i hope we'll continue it! more pictures here. the current blog header is from this night too...not the best picture but at least it has all three of us in it!
- find a site online to backup my digital photos (i'm using flickr)
- own a pair of red high heels (got these for christmas)
- light candles more often
- enjoy honey
- post more photos to flickr
- host a christmas party
- re-read some favorite childhood books
the ones below i've done partially or are in progress:
- participate in, and finish, the 365 photo a day challenge...decided to attempt this for 2008
- learn to make a few dishes well (in progress...i have a few, but want a few more mastered)
- make some fun crafts out of felt (i did some christmas ornaments but want to do more)
- buy a laptop and get wireless (i got wireless at home so i can use my work laptop, but still don't have a personal laptop)
- make more handmade decorations (did some for christmas but want to do more year-round)
- know more about politics so that i can be a more educated voter - in progress, but need to hurry with the primaries approaching, plan to work on this all year until november
- support DHF as it grows - ongoing
- send more cards and handwritten letters - i sent some halloween cards. i did christmas cards but there weren't personalized letters or anything...
that's it...not much, but progress. you can see the full list here. I guess the key to having a list like this is to use it as motivation but not stress out over not doing enough!