1.15.2012

one little word: grace

despite not feeling the drive to reflect on last year's goals and set out a list of specific resolutions, i do feel compelled to choose a word for 2012. i'm not sure why, but i do.

i've mulled over it a few times these past few weeks. i've made lists and was pretty sure i had a word. and then it hit me...two weeks into the new year. i was totally off-base and the word just showed up. which is kind of what i would expect it to do. so when it did, i didn't really question it. 

my word is grace

strangely enough, i always thought of this word as a characteristic of a person ("graceful"). it wasn't until the last year that i started to understand it in a biblical sense. the act of grace. 

other words that i considered for this were adequate...but they were either action words ("balance") or implied searching for something ("contentment"). but grace...grace has already been given to me. everyday. by Him. 

my struggle is granting myself grace. (and accepting grace of others.)

i read something this week that really hit home for me. it was about subtracting things from our lives at the new year, rather than focusing on what we can add*. the last thing i need in my life right now is more. 

but i do need more grace...given to me, from me. 

yes, i have struggles and things to work out. but in the grand scheme of things...my life is good. and i need to remember that. one reason i can't see it is because i can't get past the flaws and the faults and the mistakes of everyday life. 

so in 2012, i will grant myself grace.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."
2 Corinthians 12:8-9

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

in case you are curious...
last year's word was focus
in 2010, i began my year with the word strive
but then changed it mid-year to balance

**************

if you are unfamiliar with the concept of *one little word* i recommend checking out ali edwards' blog here: one little word

**************

*oddly enough, what i read that inspired me was also written by ali edwards. appropriate. it was part of her newsletter series. highly recommend signing up (it's free). 

No comments:

Post a Comment