5.01.2006

Dalton Help Foundation


Very good friends of ours, Brigitte & Strait, have two children. Their daughter, Sydney, is exactly one year older than Spencer. Their son, Dalton, is four. Dalton is autistic and currently is non-verbal. Brigitte & Strait have been amazing since his diagnosis and I can't even begin to fathom how they handle their daily lives. But they are fantastic parents and give everything they can to make a better life for him. They recently decided to start a foundation (Dalton Help Foundation) to help raise money to pay for Dalton's care, as well as help other autistic children in the area. ABA Therapy can run up to $40,000 for ONE year of therapy. I was shocked when I learned this from my boss - who also has an autistic son. Their son, Kyle, is five and has successfully completed ABA treatment and is wrapping up his Kindergarten year in a regular classroom!

As Dalton's first big fundraiser, they held a golf tournament and it was a HUGE success. I helped out where I could - mainly making a ton of phone calls to get donations for sponsors and prizes. Then, the day of the tournament (about 2 weeks ago), I took the day off to help. My main "job" was taking pictures so that I can scrapbook the event, and the foundation, for them. I am tickled that they want me to do this! I must admit it was a fun day. Basically, I spent a gorgeous spring day riding on a beer cart, taking pictures! But the important part is that they raised money for Dalton and other kids and charities!


I realized, a little too late, that I didn't have a picture of Brigitte & Strait together. Brigette is the one on the far right of the photo with four women. And this is Strait making his little thank-you speech to all the golfers before they head out!





No comments:

Post a Comment