6.16.2006

Kitchen & Breakfast Nook

The kitchen, breakfast nook and hallway leading to the dining room are all painted "Restrained Gold". I like bold colors, but we chose a softer yellow so that it would blend well with the other colors. Because our floor plan is so open, we had to be cautious with colors - it could easily be overwhelming on the eye. The kitchen in our old house was practically orange :)

This is the breakfast nook, right off the den. Of these photos, this one captures the wall color the best. We had this furniture in the old house as well. The table is counterheight and I LOVE it. I bought the placemats while we were "homeless" and used those as a guide for the wall color (hey, you gotta get inspiration from somewhere!).

On the far left of the photo you can see where the yellow of the kitchen and the brown of the den meet...they are different colors but very similar - same tonal value.








This is the other area of the breakfast nook. This is all new. The buffett we purchased at Pier 1. It holds our wine, liquor, party glasses (lots of hand-me-downs from my in-laws). The yellow bowl is also from Pier 1 and usually is full of fruit. The tray was a gift from our realtor and I use it to hold whatever floats my boat at the moment. I love the extra storage this piece allows, and it serves as a great bar when we have guests over. The wall art we got from Garden Ridge. I was hoping for something larger, but this was the best I could find. I'm not sure if you can tell in the photo but it's green.









This is hanging in the hallway between the kitchen and dining room. During holidays, I've been purchasing three hanging decorative items to hang here (so far I have St. Patrick's Day and Easter). While we were in the mountains I saw these crosses and fell in love with them. I will keep them hanging year round when I don't have anything seasonal to hang. I found them in Valle Crucis ("Valley of the Cross"), appropriate, huh?


1 comment:

  1. Dur...should have read more... bowls are from Pier 1...and I totally keep fruit in one of mine too! :)
    Soul Sisters baby! :)
    ~J

    ReplyDelete