5.19.2009

{idol live blogging}

Warning - if you don't watch American Idol, don't bother reading this. You'll be bored out of your mind.

OK, at the risk of appearing very pathetic, or obsessed, or both...I've decided to "live blog" through Idol tonight. (I use the term "live" loosely because the show is actually DVR'd and I am starting my viewing about an hour behind the actual broadcast). One of my favorite things about watching this show is bantering about it (usually with Matt or Tara). However, here it is...the biggest night of TV of the year and I'm watching it solo (since Coleman hasn't mastered the art of banter yet). So, this "live blog" is my way of dealing with that (but I must admit I stole the idea from Slezak at EW.com (as mentioned in my previous Idol blog). So...here goes...

Oh, I forgot Glee premieres after this - yippee!

Wow, seeing their original auditions reminds me of just how much camera time Kris did not get prior to the Top 12. He really beat those odds! Listening to clips of judges' comments just makes it all so clear - how obvious it was that they favored Adam. Tsk. Tsk.

For those that don't know, my favorite part of the show is when Ryan Seacrest says "and THIS is American Idol". I won't let Matt fast forward through it...ever.

Hey, there's the girl from the Practice in the audience.

"Acoustic rocker vs Glam rocker" - really??? Come up with something better than that.

Oh, Randy pulled out every pattern imaginable for tonight's outfit. Poor Paula forgot to brush her hair. And ew, Simon - too much chest hair. Yuck. Ryan wins the award for best dressed tonight.

I like that Kris came down the stairs one step ahead of Adam - foreshadowing???

Oh, there's Carly Smithson from last season - wonder where her sidekick Michael Johns is...

Why did Seacrest stick a mike in their faces when they have their own. Once is a mistake. Twice is stupid.

I wish Kris hadn't worn leather - leave that crap for the "glam rocker". Maybe they made him so they could use the previously mentioned rocker comparison.

I wish Simon and Paula would at least pretend to be interested in this show that gives them such hefty paychecks.

Big props to Fox for telling us to set our DVRs to go over -- would've been handy to have such warnings earlier in the season. Thank goodness Matt and I are avid Fringe watchers (but I had to watch the end of a few Fringe episodes online...).

I hate when they re-do a song from earlier in the season. But I'm not the one having to try and learn 3 new songs in a week :)

Adam Song #1: Adam loves the creepy blue light. Makes me think of Kmart (blue light special - get it??? ha.) For the record, since we all know I'm a Kris fan...I DO think Adam is talented. I just don't like him. He's not my *type* of music. A rocker girl, I am not. His long black trench coat just increases his extreme creep factor (I honestly didn't think that was possible). Adam's mom is all sequined up.
Randy: Please tell me you aren't going to grade all of the performances all night. Ugh.
Kara: Oh, she loves the word "artist" and "artistry"
Paula: You're always so proud. Gush. Gush.
Simon: Overtheatrical? Adam? Really? That's some serious insight. Didn't he get on Randy's case a few weeks ago for making a similar comment???

Kris Song #1 - Music coupons for mom? Seriously sweet :) His choice is one of the four I have downloaded, but not my absolute favorite. Maybe would've picked Falling Slowly (assuming he didn't want to do Heartless two weeks in a row). Oh good, the leather jacket is gone. I bet Idol did make him wear it. Oh, chill bumps! Did he use the piano the first time he did this song? I don't think he did. I think last week was the first week he used it. Oh, I seriously love this guy!!! Wow, this is even better than the first time he did it. The saddest thing about tonight's show is that there won't be anymore songs to download after this week. If the judges aren't fair to him, I'm going to be ticked. Let's see...
Randy: Lakers? are you serious? Yay Randy got it right (minus the stupid basketball analogy).
Kara: Did the judges finally turn their ears on?? Heck yeah!!!
Paula: Awaken the spirit? I thought creepy Adam did that. Oh, she stole Kara's word "artist"
Simon: This is a competition??? Really?? Wow, he's really smart tonight!!! Here it comes... YES, he said it. That's right Simon - you've been WRONG all season :)

Round 1 goes to Kris??? Seriously??? HELL YEAH (pardon my french)

Adam Song #2: Hmmm...didn't someone do this song on Idol last season or earlier this year? Maybe a more soulful version? Can't remember exactly. I hate black fingernail polish - on anyone, but particularly guys. Gross. He looks like he's in pain when he sings. I like that he wore a nice suit and not all crazy rocker stuff.
Randy: yo, yo, dawg. at least he said "sing your face off" and not "phonebook"
Kara: how many times has she said one of his performances was his best????
Paula: Wooo cowgirl, sit down.
Simon: Why does Randy always have to introduce Simon?

Four hours to vote? Wow.

Kris Song #2: Pulling out all of the instruments tonight. Do I know this song? I like the little group o' musicians congregating. Hmmm, I think I'm kind of enjoying this. OH, I do know this song! Bongos are fun. I liked his first performance better, but that was definitely good. The judges will say Adam won this round I bet.
Randy: that's right - boo.
Kara: "What I love about you..." Nuff said. Why is everyone talking about the social relevance of the song? So NOT the point.
Paula: tear it up girl
Simon: yet another intro by Randy. Too laid back? I'd like to point out that the judges have said he needed to do the whole acoustic thing for quite some time. Make up your darned minds.
*I will say this...I can see where the subdued performance maybe came out "milder" live there, than it would come across on TV*
OK, Simon...million percent??? Tell us how you really feel.

Oh neato - there's the whole top 12. Kara helped write the song??? Hope that's a good thing. Should be interesting to see how differently these two do the same song...

Adam Song #3: Hmmm...I think the song is OK (kind of Miley Cyrus-ish), but I'm really not sure I'm enjoying Adam's performance - at all. I'm trying not to be too biased...I think I may have even heard a couple of pitch issues - something that's usually not an issue with him.
Randy: yo, yo man. dang it. I thought we might make it through the night w/out the phonebook comment, but no such luck. Looks like I was right about the pitchiness!
Kara: You know she's not going to say anything negative about HER song
Paula: Oh, "adjectives" - that's a big word Paula. She actually managed to totally avoid making a comment on the actual performances
Simon: Is this where he begs America to vote for Adam? He totally did not judge that performance either (because he knew it wasn't good but refused to say anything negative).

Why did Ryan have to point out that this was the last performance of the season :(

Kris Song #3: Hmmm, not sure he's off to a much better start than Adam... Not sure I like that jacket he's wearing. Did he just forget a lyric??? I hope not. Damn. There wasn't actually anything *wrong* with that performance. But I wasn't wowed by it. The judges are going to tear him apart, I bet :(

For the record - the "Idol" song every years sucks. 8 seasons. 8 bad songs. Why don't they freakin' give up on the concept.

Randy: Not sure how to even take what he just said.
Kara: What, is she actually asking for votes for Kris? Woohoo.
Paula: I don't agree that this was the most compelling finale. nope.
Simon: Agreed. First song was best. Yaaaaaay Simon. I'm so glad he used the word "deserves"...because he has NOT given Kris the credit he deserves, until now.

Will he ask who won this round??? Guess not.

Wonder if they will re-release the first songs on iTunes???

Must go vote now.

if anyone actually read all of this...bless you.

oh wait...carrie??? oh crap. THIS show went over. Crap.
Not only did I miss Carrie, but I also missed the first half of Glee because I forgot to set it to record. Ugh.

1 comment:

  1. Holly- you crack me up with all of your comments! ~Cassidy :)

    ReplyDelete