6.13.2009

{savings last week}

Last week was a bit unusual shopping for me, since we were leaving for vacation on Tuesday. I decided to do all of my shopping on Sunday, and this might become a new habit for me – we’ll see. I like having a few days to mull over the grocery ads from Wednesday. Then I can see what the drug store ads are like Sunday morning and if any good, new coupons are available (this was key this week!). Anyway, I didn’t buy many of the normal grocery items, knowing we wouldn’t be home. But, I did have to buy a lot of stuff once we got down to the beach, which didn’t allow for many savings in that area.

I seriously doubt anyone reads these annoyingly long posts, but I like to write them because it helps me understand my savings more. Weird, I know!

First Stop: Rite Aid
This was my first time doing this savings shopping at Rite Aid, but I felt there were enough deals to justify making the stop. I had to read up on how “single check rebates” work. More info on that here.

One of the *big deals* here was basically free contact solution. Complete was on sale for $7.99 and offering a scr of $7.99. Unfortunately, they were out. I asked if they did rainchecks – yes. It took a while but I finally got one. Upon looking at it in the car, I realized it seemed like the raincheck was only for the sale price (about $1.50 off), not necessarily for the rebate. So, not sure how that is going to work and might have to investigate later.

- Electrasol dishwasher tabs: on sale from $6.19 to $3.49 + $1 scr + coupon. I ended up purchasing two of these once I realized how good of a deal it was.
- Edge shaving cream: on sale from $3.29 to $1.99 + 50 cent scr + coupon
- Axe body spray & deodorant: on sale from $4.99 and $5.99 to $4.00 each + $1 scr on 2
- Benadryl: on sale from $7.49 to $4.99 + $2 coupon (from Rite Aid ad)

I had a $5 for $25 coupon, so I was hoping to get to that $25 mark on good deals. When the $7.99 contact solution fell through, and the Colgate deal wasn’t what I wanted, I shopped around to see if there were any deals I missed, that I could justify. The main thing – keeping in mind that if I save money on something I don’t need, it’s not saving money.

- Johnson & Johnson wash clothes (these are the ones with soap already in them). They were clearanced – regular price of $4.29. The sticker said 50% off, but they actually rang up at only $1.07. And I had a $1 coupon for any J&J baby item, so I got the box for only 7 cents!!

- Soft Scrub. I bought two items for $3.99 and $4.49 (not on sale). Because this wasn’t in my original shopping trip, I don’t remember if there was an src. But I had a BOGO coupon, so I saved $3.99.

Summary
Total @ Full Retail = $46.91
Total after sales = $31.51
Coupon savings = $13.49
Amount paid (with tax) = $20.23
SCR’s that will be received = $2.50
Total Savings = $29.18 (62%)

Second Stop: Harris Teeter

These first two items made my week – both GREAT bargains….
- 18 packs of Miller Lite (and a few other beers) for $8.88!!!
- Cottonelle 12pk double rolls for $5.99 each (regular price = $10.99); purchased two packs and had two coupons (one was for $1, one was 50 cents, doubled to $1). I also grabbed another feeder coupon while I was there (for 75 cents, I think)

Other savings:
- Hefty Easy Grip Cups – BOGO (stocking up on these, for summer cookout season)
- Tazo Tea (needed tea, had coupon)
- Michelangelo’s Lasanga (which we eat a lot) on sale for $6.97. Not a huge deal but it’s not on sale much, so better than nothing
- Buitonii pasta – BOGO + coupon
- Kraft Singles – BOGO + coupon
- Philly Cream Cheese – on sale + coupon

Summary:
Total @ Full Retail = $87.21
Total VIC Savings = $18.03
Total Coupon Savings = $25.03
Total Paid = $44.15
Total Saved = $43.06 (50%)

Third Stop: CVS

There was a “hidden” deal on Pampers on their website, but it wasn’t printing at the register – here are the details. I went with a copy of the internet deal in hand.

First Transaction:
I asked them to ring up just the Pampers first because I wanted to see if the ECBs printed (they did not). The diapers were marked down to $8.99 (from $12.49). I used 3 Pampers coupons and then all of my remaining ECBs from last week, plus a $5 off $25. It took a while but I eventually got my $15 in ECBs for the diapers.

Total @ Full Retail = $37.47
Total @ Sale Price = $26.97
Coupons = $4.00
ECBs = $18.00 ($13 ECBs + one $5 off $25)
Total Paid (after taxes) = $6.60
Total Savings* = $34.50 (92%)
*savings based on new ECBs for this transaction, no last week’s used

Second Transaction:
- Dawn dish soap: on sale for 2/$2 (savings of 99 cents each) + coupon + $1 ECB
- Always pantyliners: on sale for 2/$6 (savings of 99 cents each) + coupon + $2 ECB
- Hefty trash bags: on sale for $6.99 (savings of $2.50) + coupon
- Swiffer refills (sale $1.79 off) + Febreze ($0.29 off) + $5 ECB on 2
- Gillette Fusion Razor $7.99 ($4 off) + $4 coupon + $4 ECB
- Banana Boat Sunscreen (2) @ $10.49 each + 2 coupons ($4 total) + $7 ECB
- Waterproof disposable camera @ $14.99 (full price, no coupon, so depressing!)

Total @ Full Retail = $81.49
Total @ Sale Price = $68.95
Coupons = $10.75
ECBs from 1st transaction = $15.00
$10 off $30 from first transaction = $10.00 (got lucky on this one!!)
Total Paid (after taxes) = $36.28
Total Savings* = $52.29 (48%)
*savings based on new ECBs for this transaction, no the ones used

Third Stop: Bi-Lo

I usually don’t like complicated deals, but I went for this one:
- 2 DiGiorno Pizzas @ $13.24 + coupon for 2
Free items: 6pk Pepsi ($3.29), Pepperidge Farm garlic bread ($2.57), Pepperidge Farm cake ($3.99), Kraft Italian Dressing ($1.99)

Other Purchases:
Kraft Mayo – sale + coupon
Mueller’s Pasta – sale + coupon (on 3)
Crisco Olive Oil – sale + coupon
Cards – Buy 2, Get 1 free coupon

Summary:
Total @ Full Retail = $56.33
Bonuscard Savings = $16.40
Coupons = $10.99
Total Paid (after taxes) = $30.02
Total Savings = $27.39 (49%)

I had grand plans for Walgreen’s as well, but simply ran out of time. They had some good coupons in their flyer for items where I had manufacturer’s coupons as well. Oh well!

Upon arriving at the beach, I had to shop at Bi-Lo for the week’s items. I couldn’t be as picky so there wasn’t much in the way of savings. I paid $100.22, with a savings of only $19.21.

WEEKLY SUMMARY

Total @ Full Retail = $428.84
Total Paid = $237.50
Total Savings of 38% (not bad considering the vacation…)

No comments:

Post a Comment