12.08.2009

daily prompt {dec 8}

december eighth

{quote}
"the most vivid memories of christmases past are usually not of gifts given or received, but of the spirit of love, the special warmth of christmas worship, the cherished little habits of the home." ~ lois rand

{write}
write about the significance of at least one of your items of holiday decor

it seems like anytime holiday decor is mentioned in these prompts, i immediately go to an ornament. i guess that is because they are where most of the sentimentality resides. the other decor items tend to be more *just for looks*. in general, some of the ornaments that i treasure most are the ones that are from my childhood (and my mom was sweet enough to let me have). in addition to the one with the photo of me and grandpa (mentioned in a previous prompt), there are two others that come to mind. one is a mirrored ornament with my photo in it (a bit conceited, i know). the other is a cute mouse drawing done around my tiny thumbprint. obviously, the many ornaments that spencer has made over the years (and there are TONS) are important as well. i just think there is a different level of meaning because of the amount of time that has (or has not) passed.

{photograph}
a holiday related item you inherited

I don't think I've inherited anything holiday related, in the true sense of the word. However, I do have some Christmas ornaments that were mom's (or "mine" as a child, depending on how you want to look at it). I love that I have these on my tree every year as a symbol of my childhood. The first two pictures are just different shots of the same one - a mirror ornament with a photo of me (I think I was maybe in Kindergarten???). The third picture is the ornament mentioned in a previous post (of me and my grandfather).





{do}
read christmas books
this morning before work, i read a few christmas books to coleman that i had picked up at the library.

{make}
in the evening, i made a path through the pile of gifts in my scrapbooking studio and started on my wrapping.

{remember}
in what places (whose homes, etc) do you remember feeling warm, welcome, and loved during the holidays?
the one that comes to mind first is my own childhood home. i also recall my aunt's home which was always full of food and loved ones at christmastime. in my adult life, i think of my sister sherry's house, who has one of the most "open door" policies of anyone i know.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment