7.13.2009

money-saving monday {7.13}

On my lunch hour, I made three money-saving trips - Staples, CVS & KFC. The back-to-school deals have started. Unfortunately, we do not yet know what Spencer's list is so I'm just grabbing up the free and penny items and nothing else at this point. If he doesn't use them, I can donate them to the school or somewhere.

Staples
I purchased 2 of the pencil 8-packs (the limit) at one cent each. I also got 2 packs of copy paper (also the limit) for $3.69. They have $3.68 easy rebates so actually cost only a penny also. Since I print so many coupons, gotta make sure I have plenty of paper, right??? I had a $5 of $20 coupon from the paper, soI went ahead and picked up two other things I needed - a pencil pocket @ $2.99 (for my coupon binder) and a photo ink cartridge ($28.99). I was hoping to get a pack of the 4x6 photo paper that would be only $1 after easy rebate, but they were all out.

Kentucky Fried Chicken
I redeemed my coupon for the free 2-piece grilled chicken meal. It was very tasty - got 2 pieces of chicken, two sides, a biscuit and a drink...for ZIPPO dollars.

CVS
They have several school items that are free after ECBs, but the deals only last through tomorrow. The store which I visited was out of the rulers, pens, pencils and 5 cent folders. I was able to get 2 one-subject notebooks, 2 bottles of glue, and one pair of scissors. I was also hoping to get the new 8hr Tylenol because it has a $3 ECB and I had 2 coupons that would work on it, but they were out of that also. I used a $3 coupon that I got for my birthday (isn't it sweet that CVS gave me a present? and a $2.97 ECB from last week. My pre-tax amount remaining was 98 cents so I tried to use a 99 cent ECB but the computer wouldn't take it. The cashier tried several times and was very apologetic, saying I should've been able to use it and just "lose" the extra penny. So, I had to pay $1.05 after taxes, out of pocket. But I have a TON of ECBs now - plenty left from last week, plus $6.95 in new ones (and two $5 off $25 coupons).

I plan on hitting at least one more store - probably tomorrow. I want to try to find that Tylenol (we're actually out and you can't beat free), plus I'd love to score some more free school goodies. And they are doing free in-store photo books after ECBs, so I want to do one of those too! They have formula on sale this week so I may use some of my built up ECBs for that.... to be determined because I just got two big cans on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment