6.15.2010

{high school musical}

no, this post is not about what you think it is...

as part of the creativity boot camp, we were asked to reflect on music from our high school years. this led me to scrolling through the 923 songs on my iPhone to see what memories were sparked. i love music and it's a big part of my life, but i don't post about it very often, so i thought this might be fun.

so, going through my playlists, here are songs that brought up memories of those four golden years of high school. this list could be much longer, but this is only stuff i have on my iPhone (so it's passed the test of time), and it's only things that conjure up pretty specific memories. there are plenty of songs that just generally remind me of that time of my life.

A Whole New World Aladdin Soundtrack
      I know it's odd, but my friend Tabitha and I loved watching Disney movies...particularly Aladdin, The Lion King and The Little Mermaid. I seriously can still recite most of the lines in Aladdin (not just the singing ones).

Chicago
     I'm not naming a particular song because I had their Greatest Hits CD and listened to it all the time.

August and Everything After Counting Crows
     This is the name of the album I owned, not just one song. I loved it. At one point during high school, my car was broken into and my CD player, cell phone and all of my CDs were stolen. I was so sad, and ticked, as you can imagine. When I got home and realized that this CD was in my CD player at home, I was thrilled! It was my favorite at the time.

Rockin' Years Dolly Parton & Ricky Van Shelton
    Sometimes I would ride the bus home with  my friend Jenni. I remember that she was totally in love with this song. She had it figured out that CMT played it at the exact same time every afternoon so she'd always make sure we watched the video. I think of her every time I hear it (and I still love the song).

Closer to Fine Indigo Girls
     I went through an Indigo Girls phase and even attended the Lilith Fair concert (with above-mentioned friend, Jenni). I had no clue that the Indigo Girls were lesbians, or that this concert was going to be a lesbian-fest. I saw two girls kiss for the first time that day. Yes, I was that naive.

James Taylor
     I introduced my friend James (not Taylor) to Jimmy Buffett and he introduced me to James Taylor. Relatively fair trade. I ended up going to see him in concert as well (though that might have been college).

Macarena Los del Rio
      This was THE dance fad of my senior year in high school. I still know the moves. Gotta love it.

Set Adrift on Memory Bliss PM Dawn
     I remember going to a dance at a church (yes, you read that right) in 9th grade. I danced to this song with the DJ guy, who was an *older boy*. I was totally intimidated. Believe it or not, I was quite shy back in the day :) Anyway...the older kids that were putting on this dance were trying to get more of us young kids to dance so they were going around plucking wallflowers, thus how I ended up dancing against my will.

Again Janet Jackson
     For some reason, when I think of songs and high school, this is the first one that comes to mind. It reminds me of my friends Tabitha and Travis. If you listen to the words, this is a pretty intensive love song. It's certainly not anything I could relate to in high school. I'm pretty sure I never dated anyone longer than a month :) But, for whatever reason, I loved this song, and still do. It's still pretty heart-wrenching to hear. Interesting.

For your listening enjoyment....



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment